Keep on Keeping On

Ok—let’s talk about resiliency—that ability to keep going when the going gets tough. I met a late middle age man last month who walked out into traffic on purpose in Grade One because he was severely depressed—at age six! Why? Because he was severely dyslexic! He just could not learn to read—which meant of course that he did not understand anything that was going on in the classroom. And, of course, he was depressed because he was teased and abused unmercifully by his classmates all of the time for being stupid. And even if he did receive some compassion from his teacher, it was not enough to stop him from harming himself. I can’t imagine a small boy being that despondent, can you? How sad! We did not know much about dyslexia fifty years ago, and I don’t think there was much support for slow learners either, given the huge numbers in our boomer classrooms, so he was totally desperate. He did not want to live.

Many, many thousands, and I would venture to say millions, have thought of suicide when faced with seemingly insurmountable life challenges. I don’t know a single person who hasn’t faced adversity of some type, do you? Adversity is part of life. We are given the gift of adversity so that we may find out who we really are, and by that I mean our strengths, natural talents and abilities. When we fully realize our capacity for change, adjustment, and survival, we start to turn a new page.

That little six year old succeeded in turning a new page beautifully, but it wasn’t at school! In fact, he ran away from home at age ten, because he still couldn’t read, and was totally unhappy there. He chose the summertime, of course, to do it, and because he was big, he quickly got a job with a construction firm learning how to build. He was financially independent by age 21—then lost it all four times and recovered each time, ending by earning millions. And guess what else? He developed his own system of reading, and now reads eight to ten books a week! Now that is a story of resiliency! I am sure that all of you have your own stories of resiliency and survival. The truth is, that we all have the capacity to keep going, but some give up just when they are at the cusp of a new chapter of prosperity and happiness—and they miss the boat! So sad—so very sad, because resiliency has many lessons to teach us.

When we learn to persist no matter what, we learn to become more creative about solving our problems; we try new strategies; and we learn to look outside of the box, and take actions on our own behalf.  We also learn patience, critical thinking and resourcefulness. And all of these problem solving skills stand us in good stead for years to come, when even greater problems may present themselves—so yes, patience and steadfastness have their own rewards in building our courage—and that is what it takes— courage.

So why is it that some of us persist and learn to become courageous about life and all of its travails, and others don’t? Well some of us get tough, and develop a mental attitude that they are not going to let life get them down. And some of us develop a habit of thinking positively, whatever may befall.  It takes self-discipline and training to do so, and that is what this website is all about! It’s about helping you to get what you want out of life by training you to become habitually positive!

You can learn to become more habitually positive with one very simple question. When you find yourself being negative and thinking about what you do not want, ask yourself what you do want, and start focusing on that instead. When you focus on what you want, you are sending out positive vibes and attracting more of the same. Learn to do this habitually, and you too will become more resilient—more immune to the slings and arrows of life, and you will become habitually happier to boot, so don’t give up, just keep on keeping on!

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

Confucius

Comments

1. Dee McDonald says:

Thank you, Lauren, for another wonderful, get you thinking blog!

• Lauren MacLauclan says:

You are most welcome Dee! I love writing my blogs, and it is so good to know that someone likes them–and good to hear from you too! Hope everything is going well for you!
      Lauren

2. Else Klevjer says:

Thank you, Lauren, for a wonderful blog write-up! It was just what I needed to read and hear this morning!! To focus on what we do want, rather then what seems to be happening… And to “keep on keeping on!” I haven’t seen you around town lately, are you doing support groups still?!
    Hoping that all is well with you! Again “thank you” and many blessings… Else

• Lauren MacLauclan says:

Hi Else! Great to hear from you and I am glad that my words resonated with you! I am currently working in Vancouver, so of course, I am not doing my study group in Courtenay, but I will be home for Christmas. Maybe I will see you at some of the local events, or at the Farmer’s market!

Have a wonderful Christmas season and New Year and keep on keeping on!

Lauren

3. Hi Lauren,

I found this piece of work particularly uplifting. I have been an Abraham groupie for 7 years but left the fold when the contrast in my life spiralled over the top. I wish Abe used words like adversity, suffering, or even bullshit instead of contrast because i don’t think we truly understand that all these words are in the same family. Where did you get this article?

Thanks,

Steve

• Lauren MacLauclan says:

Hi Steve,
      Thanks for your feedback on this article. I wrote it, and I am very grateful that you found it uplifting because that was my intent in writing it. I was so inspired when I heard the story first hand, that I just had to share it. Most of us have baggage to deal with throughout life, and it is good to know that others have weathered the storms and lived to tell the tale!

And yes, I agree, the word contrast does not seem to aptly describe some of the extreme suffering that many of us have to go through in life, me included! However, it seems to be a good umbrella term for some of us, although it is a little old fashioned.

Lauren

4. Marnie Fiddis says:

Hi Lauren – good blog – I know I have to keep fighting no matter how hard it gets – every little bit gives me encouragement – keep up the good work –
    I’m hoping to be in TO for Christmas so will miss you while you’re here – have a wonderful one and a New Year full of love and happiness –
    Marnie

• Lauren MacLauclan says:

Hi Marnie,
      Thanks for your kind comments! I am glad that you enjoyed the article, and I hope that you will have a very Happy Christmas and New Year too, in fact, I am sure that you will–Toronto is a great place to be at Christmastime, and family makes it moreso. Have fun!
      Lauren